MediaTek is one of the leading chipmakers in the mobile industry, offering a range of processors for different segments and markets. Among its latest products is the MediaTek Dimensity 920, a 5G chipset that aims to deliver enhanced performance, features, and power efficiency for mid-range smartphones. But what makes the Dimensity 920 stand out from the crowd, and what can it offer to smartphone users and makers? In this article, we will explore the specifications, benefits, and benchmarks of the MediaTek Dimensity 920.
Specifications of the MediaTek Dimensity 920
The MediaTek Dimensity 920 is an octa-core chipset that was announced on August 11, 2021, and is manufactured using a 6-nanometer process technology. It has two fast ARM Cortex-A78 cores at up to 2.5 GHz and six power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores at up to 2 GHz. It also has a Mali-G68 MP4 GPU that can run at up to 950 MHz and support high refresh rate displays up to 120Hz.
The chipset also features a dedicated AI processing unit (APU) that can handle various AI tasks such as face detection, scene recognition, bokeh effect, noise reduction, and more The APU supports INT8, INT16, and FP16 data formats and can deliver up to 2.4 TOPS of AI performance.
The chipset also integrates a 5G modem that supports both sub-6GHz and mmWave bands, as well as dual SIM dual standby (DSDS) and carrier aggregation (CA) technologies. The modem can achieve up to 2.77 Gbps of download speed and up to 1.25 Gbps of upload speed. The chipset also supports Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, and NAVIC for wireless connectivity.
The chipset also supports LPDDR5 and LPDDR4X memory types, as well as UFS 3.1, UFS 2.2, and UFS 2.1 storage types. The chipset can support up to 16 GB of RAM and up to 256 GB of storage.
The chipset also supports up to 108 MP main cameras or dual 20 MP cameras for photography and videography. The chipset has a hardware-accelerated 4K HDR video recording engine that can apply noise reduction techniques (3DNR + MFNR) to produce high-quality videos in any lighting conditions. The chipset also supports various video codecs such as H.264, H.265, AV1, and VP9
Benefits of the MediaTek Dimensity 920
The MediaTek Dimensity 920 offers several benefits for smartphone users and makers, such as:
- Performance: The chipset delivers exceptional performance for snappy app response, fast gaming, and smooth multitasking. The chipset boosts its CPU frequencies by up to 9% compared to its predecessor (the Dimensity 900), while maintaining low power consumption. The chipset also supports MediaTek’s Intelligent Refresh Rate Display technology that can dynamically adjust the display refresh rate according to the content type and user action.
- Features: The chipset offers a range of features that enhance the user experience, such as AI camera capabilities, 4K HDR video capture, high-resolution display support, and advanced connectivity options. The chipset also supports MediaTek’s HyperEngine technology that optimizes the network performance, resource management, power efficiency, and latency reduction for gaming.
- Power efficiency: The chipset is exceptionally power-efficient thanks to its 6nm process technology and its heterogeneous multi-processing architecture. The chipset can balance the workload among its cores according to the task demand and power budget. The chipset also supports fast charging and wireless charging technologies that can extend the battery life even further.
- Flexibility: The chipset offers flexibility for smartphone makers to design different models based on their market expectations and price points. The chipset supports both flagship and premium memory and storage components without requiring a platform redesign. The chipset also supports various display sizes, resolutions, refresh rates, camera configurations, audio codecs, and more.
Benchmarks of the MediaTek Dimensity 920
The MediaTek Dimensity 920 has been tested in various benchmarks that measure its CPU, GPU, RAM, and I/O performance in different scenarios. Here are some of the results:
- AnTuTu v9: This benchmark measures the overall performance of the chipset in terms of CPU, GPU, RAM, and UX. The Dimensity 920 scored 497,029 points, which is higher than the Snapdragon 778G (475,000 points) and the Dimensity 900 (450,000 points).
- GeekBench 5: This benchmark measures the single-core and multi-core performance of the CPU. The Dimensity 920 scored 807 points in single-core and 2,267 points in multi-core, which is comparable to the Snapdragon 778G (800 points and 2,300 points) and higher than the Dimensity 900 (700 points and 2,000 points).
- 3DMark Wild Life: This benchmark measures the graphics performance of the GPU in a Vulkan-based scenario. The Dimensity 920 scored 2,269 points, which is lower than the Snapdragon 778G (3,000 points) but higher than the Dimensity 900 (1,800 points).
The MediaTek Dimensity 920 is a powerful and efficient 5G chipset that offers a great value proposition for mid-range smartphones. It combines cutting-edge technologies with elegant design to create a chipset that can handle various tasks and scenarios with ease and efficiency. If you are looking for a chipset that can deliver a premium experience at an affordable price, you should consider the MediaTek Dimensity 920. You can learn more about the chipset on MediaTek’s official website.